“Owning our story can
be hard, but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it.
Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky, but not nearly as dangerous as giving
up on love and belonging and joy. ... Only when we are brave enough to explore
the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.” ~Brené Brown
Deflecting a serious
situation with sarcasm. Laughing off a genuine compliment. Running from
anything with amazing potential.
That was my life. For
a very long time. Because dealing, accepting, embracing made me vulnerable. And
being vulnerable meant I could get hurt.
But I got hurt
anyway, sometimes because of those with whom I associated or that which I allowed,
but mostly because pain is part of life.
***
Learning to “own it”
was a gradual process, but one that seemed to happen overnight.
One minute I was
hiding my bulimia, the next I was embracing it (everyone who knows me [or reads
my blog] is aware that I had an eating disorder in my late teens and early
20s). Same with my anxiety disorder and OCD, as well as that which triggers
one, the other, or both.
I’m okay with these
parts of my story. And a lot of others, too. But some—like acknowledging my
wants, needs, insecurities, and fears—are works in progress.
I want people to like
me, to tell me I’m pretty, smart, funny, kind. I need people to understand who
I am and what makes me tick (because they’re observant and because they care).
Funny, somehow, that
my wants and needs fuel my insecurities. What if people don’t like me? What if
they don’t think I’m pretty or funny or smart or kind? What if they’ll never
understand who I am or what makes me tick (because they’re not observant and
because they don’t care)?
I fear I’ll never be
enough, that I’ll never get what I want or what I need, that I’ll never
overcome my insecurities.
***
And that was me,
embracing my vulnerability. Because I’m not willing to give up on love and
belonging and joy.
Because sometimes, I
have to give people the benefit of the doubt, to believe the best of them, to
stop expecting them to disappoint me. Because sometimes, I have to get lost to
find my way, to find myself.
***
I don’t know where
life will lead me, but I have to live it. And I have to let it lead me somewhere. To the bad, scary, crazy places so I can
appreciate the good, safe, calm ones.
Because it’s only after
we explore the darkness that we can discover the light. Happy travels, everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment