“If you are brave enough to
leave behind everything familiar and comforting … and set out on a
truth-seeking journey, … and if you are truly willing to regard everything that
happens to you on that journey as a clue, and if you accept everyone you meet
along the way as a teacher, and if you are prepared—most of all—to face (and
forgive) some very difficult realities about yourself…then truth will not be
withheld from you.” ~Elizabeth Gilbert
This quote’s been a
favorite of mine for years now, perhaps because there’s so much truth in it.
And it’s one I can always relate to, whether literally or figuratively, no
matter where I’m at in my life.
***
Being brave enough to leave
behind everything familiar and comforting…
Right now, I’m in the
process of looking for a new home. I’m choosing to move away from everything I’ve
ever known to try something different. I’m excited for it (because I think I’ll
love it), while at the same time, apprehensive about it (because I might not).
Most people are supporting
my decision. They’re asking about my progress. They’re taking time out of their
busy schedules to answer questions and confirm I’m not looking at properties in
sketchy areas. They’re helping me hunt for for-rent signs and offering to
attend apartment/house viewings.
Some, though, are less than
enthusiastic about my move because it makes them uncomfortable. They don’t understand
it. They’d never do it.
A couple years ago, I'd
have let their opinions affect mine. Now, I smile and say: “This is something
I'm pulled toward, something I'm looking forward to.”
Do I question myself? Of
course. Especially when my home-base at work will be shifting from Cleveland to
Parma soon, which means staying in Medina as opposed to moving to Lakewood makes
sense.
But you never grow if you
never change. And since I’ve been saying I need to get out of the small-town ‘burbs
for a while now, why squander an opportunity simply because things aren't happening
exactly as I'd planned?
***
Accepting everyone you meet
along the way as a teacher …
Teachers are everywhere,
all the time.
I’ve mentioned in previous
blogs how numerous people helped shape my life. And while I learned from them (eventually…it
always seemed to take way too long for me to “get it”), it was a negative
situation instead of a positive one. Meaning I figured out what I didn’t want
and who I wasn’t, but never what I did want or who I was.
After years and years of
this, I decided to take a break. Instead of letting people in, I shut them out.
I’ll forever stand behind that decision. It was necessary at the time because I
needed to know who’d step up when I stepped down. (I was always pleasantly
surprised and never really disappointed.)
And I learned a lot about
myself. I worked through some deep-seeded issues. I found my voice and my
self-confidence. I (finally) started figuring out what I wanted and who I was.
A major discovery during
this period in my life was that it’s nearly impossible to work through a
situation, to get over something, if you never deal with it.
Dealing with it can mean so
many things. … A conversation. Multiple conversations. A big, blow-out fight. A
change in behavior. Holding your own in a situation you’d rather avoid. Falling
down, picking yourself up, and trying again.
***
Rodney Yee’s Yoga for
Strength and Flexibility is something I’ve done for years, mostly because it
calms my mind and puts me in a less anxious state. There’s one pose—one-legged downward
facing dog, where you’re on all fours and then bend one leg up and behind—that was
always difficult for me.
Not only couldn’t I master
it, but also, it was painful. After years of trying and failing, I finally gave
up on it.
When I stopped attempting it, I stopped getting hurt. Perfect, right? No. Not quite.
Enter Cassandra, a
certified yoga instructor (shameless plug for her business, Luna Sidera Yoga
& Wellness, LLC: https://www.facebook.com/lunasiderayoga),
who, not too long ago, gave me a private lesson. One of the poses she wanted me
to try was—you guessed it—one-legged downward facing dog.
I didn’t want to. I knew if
I did, I’d get hurt.
But she showed me how to
position my hands and feet correctly, how to slowly shift my weight, how to
bend my leg the right way.
And low and behold, I did
the pose successfully for the first time in my life.
After that, I started
trying it again during my Rodney Yee sessions. I almost fell a few times. When that
happened, though, I’d stop, reposition myself, and try again. Months of
practice later, I can say with confidence that one-legged downward facing dog ain’t
no thing because I got it. And I do. I don’t even think twice about that pose
anymore. I just do it.
And well, if that’s not a
metaphor for life, I don’t know what is. :)
***
Be brave enough to follow
your heart, to regard everything that happens to you as a clue, to accept every
person you meet as a teacher, to face your demons and forgive your weaknesses. Because
in the end, what you’ll discover is yourself. Your imperfectly beautiful self.
No comments:
Post a Comment