"Addicted to the love
I found
Heavy heart, now a weightless cloud
Making time for the ones that count
I'll spend the rest of my time
Laughing hard with the windows down
Leaving footprints all over town
Keeping faith karma comes around
Heavy heart, now a weightless cloud
Making time for the ones that count
I'll spend the rest of my time
Laughing hard with the windows down
Leaving footprints all over town
Keeping faith karma comes around
Catch my breath, no one can hold me
back, I ain't got time for that
Catch my breath, won't let them get me down, it's all so simple now"
Catch my breath, won't let them get me down, it's all so simple now"
~Kelly Clarkson,
Catching My Breath
After this song was
released, one of my best friends told me the lyrics reminded her of me. I
didn't understand.
And it took a while
for me to comprehend what other people had been noticing for the better part of
a year: I was different.
***
Change is something I’ve always tried to ease into, partly because I dislike it so much and partly because patterns are comfortable, familiar, and “easy.”
I’d get a new
boyfriend because the last one treated me badly, only to discover the new one
did, too.
I’d change jobs
because I wasn’t paid enough, respected enough, challenged enough, and realize
I’d gotten myself into an identical situation with my new employer.
I’d go out, get
wasted, and make bad decisions to deal with (a.k.a. forget about) my problems. Staying
in, getting wasted, and making bad decisions wasn’t much of an improvement, and
truth be told, probably landed me in just as many (if not more) dangerous
situations.
I’d psychoanalyze
everyone else and try to “fix” them because I was too afraid to take a good, hard look at myself.
I’d use people for
their love and companionship because I didn’t believe I was capable of standing
on my own two feet; I thought I needed a crutch to lean on.
And then I decided
I didn’t want to feel like that anymore, or ever again, so I made an appointment
with a counselor to get to the bottom of the issue(s).
I want to say it’s
been easy, but it hasn’t. And I want to say it’s been hard, but it hasn’t.
Everything happened
so gradually, it’s difficult to pinpoint when I realized I was different (or better). The turning
point was probably in December, when my counselor asked me if I thought I
needed to make another appointment or if I felt comfortable calling her if
something came up, and I confidently chose the latter.
Then I stayed in
for New Year’s Eve—a drastic difference from last year’s extravaganza complete
with a new dress, new shoes, new jewelry, too much alcohol and a 22-year-old I
couldn’t remember meeting, let alone giving my number to, when he texted me a
couple days later. (I feel like it’s important to note that I have great
friends who make certain I come home with them. Alone. :))
After New Year’s
Eve, I thought back to my recent achievements:
- Not getting hit on in a bar by drunk idiots. (No, most wouldn’t consider this an achievement, but I do, because before, I’d appease them, feel uncomfortable all night, give them my number, and have to dodge them for days—if not weeks—after the incident. Now, I don’t even attract that kind of energy. Oh, you’re intoxicated and being ridiculous? Yeah, don’t talk to me. [And they don’t.])
- Taking a leap of faith for a job that’s turning into something really special.
- Doing yoga or deep breathing when I’m upset or stressed as opposed to opening a bottle of wine.
- Dealing with my own issues instead of trying to fix everyone else.
- Realizing, once and for all, I’m completely capable of standing on my own two feet.
Do I miss her, that girl I used to be? Not
really, because I see her—in one way or another—almost every day.
In the girl sitting
next to the boy she loves, trying desperately to relax because she’s almost
sure he loves her, too.
In the boy who goes
above and beyond at work, coming in early, staying late, trying to win the
respect of his colleagues and superiors.
In the girl
shooting tequila and dancing on a bar because it’s “fun,” or consuming a bottle
of wine and then crying about how awful her life is.
In the boy who
tells his friends they’re not happy at work or at home, and have they considered
switching careers? A trial separation?
In the girl who
always has a boyfriend, and if she doesn’t, a serious crush. She justifies the
relationship even if she isn’t happy. She convinces herself she needs him, even
if things are far from perfect.
She's still a part of me, really. And that's okay, because life is gray, and I believe those who try to make
it black and white are setting themselves up for disappointment.
Sometimes, you’re
going to love people you shouldn’t. Sometimes, the job you work so hard at
becomes menial and unfulfilling. Sometimes, getting drunk really is the best
solution. Sometimes, it’s okay to concentrate on others’ problems
instead of your own. Sometimes, a person who begins as a crutch turns into a
friend, or, maybe once in a lifetime, someone who changes you for the better by putting you on a
path you didn’t know you were destined to travel down. But, looking back, you're certain it couldn’t have happened any other way.
I guess the trick is to
realize when you’re caught up in repeating a pattern and when you’re genuinely
pulled toward something or someone. Once you figure it out, you'll know exactly what to do.
And you'll believe Kelly when she says: It's all so simple now.
No comments:
Post a Comment